Making your own toilet cleaner has never been so easy!
Once you start making homemade products, you’ll soon want to make everything yourself. What’s more, it’s especially nice to use something you’ve created rather than products with ingredients you don’t recognize… That’s why we came up with this recipe for a homemade toilet cleaner!
Loo Renew allows you to clean the toilet simply and efficiently. Easy to make and easy to use, these homemade toilet cleaning tablets let you keep the toilet bowl of your powder room in tip-top shape. Finally, an affordable and environmentally friendly way to clean the toilet!
Get ready to renew your loo with this DIY recipe!
How to make toilet cleaner at home
Before you begin
Both washing soda and citric acid can cause skin irritation. We recommend wearing gloves when handling them.
63 g (49.2%) washing soda
63 g (49.2%) citric acid
2 g (1.6%) essential oils of your choosing
Spray bottle containing water
A few pipettes
A few ramekins
Individual molds of your choosing (e.g., to make small soaps or ice cubes)
Good to know!
You can replace the washing soda with an equal part of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). Both products are known for their cleaning and polishing properties. However, washing soda is more potent and so will result in a stronger cleaning product.
It’s normal for the mixture to produce some heat when you add water to the powders.
When selecting your essential oils, we advise you to opt for those with antibacterial and antifungal properties. For example, in our trial runs, we used a mixture of tea tree and lemon essential oils!
Steps to follow
- Weigh the washing soda and citric acid. Mix together in a small stainless steel bowl.
- In a ramekin, weigh the essential oils and add to the mixture made in step 1. Mix to combine.
- Add the water little by little with a spray bottle. Mix quickly after each addition of water to limit the reaction between the water and the citric acid.
- Repeat step 3 until the mixture has the texture of wet sand.
- Press mixture firmly into molds until compact.
- Let tablets dry for 24 hours before unmolding. There you have it! Your homemade toilet bowl cleaner is ready to use!
Use and conservation
To use your DIY toilet cleaner, place one or two tabs in the toilet bowl. Wait 10 minutes before scrubbing the toilet bowl with a brush, then flush. You can use these homemade toilet cleaning tabs once per week.
Made in optimal sanitary conditions, the tabs will keep for at least three months. Store in a container to protect from humidity.