This night cream recipe will give your skin a good night’s rest
Night has fallen, the stars are gently twinkling in the darkened sky, you’re winding down after a long day, and the dream world is calling to you. It’s finally time for bed. All you have left to do is curl up under the covers and let sleep take over. Of course our mind and body deserve this rest, but don’t forget that our skin does too! It also needs a bit of evening care so it can greet tomorrow restored, refreshed, and glowing. Luckily, we’ve got a night cream recipe so that your skin, like you, can be a true Sleeping Beauty!
We decided to make our night cream richer than the usual day creams, because it matters less that your skin may be shiny for a little bit if you’re just going to bed. This DIY night cream will deeply nourish and hydrate your skin, so you’ll be glowing beautifully by morning! And to make your sleep extra restful, we specifically chose calming and relaxing essential oils. In short, this homemade night cream has everything you need for a pleasant, replenishing, and delicately scented sleep!
You can trust Sleeping Beauty with your nighttime skincare. She’s the expert in resting beautifully, after all!
How to make night cream
- 20 g (20%) apricot kernel oil
- 3 g (3%) mango butter
- 7 g (7%) glyceryl stearate SE (self-emulsifying wax)
- 1 g (1%) cetyl alcohol
- 1.5 g (1.5%) elderberry extract
- 1 g (1%) vitamin E
- 2 g (2%) honey
- 1 g (1%) true lavender essential oil
- 0.5 g (0.5%) ylang-ylang essential oil
- 2 small stainless steel bowls
- Components to make two double boilers
- 1 basin full of water to make a cold water bath
- 2 small silicone spatulas
- A few pipettes
- A few spoons
- 1 ramekin
- 1 mini-mixer with frothing attachment (the small wheel)
- 1 thermometer
- 1 Ziploc-style bag
- 1 pair of scissors
- 1 frosted supple tube (100 ml)
Good to know!
- This homemade night cream deeply nourishes your skin with the help of its oils and butters. Thanks to the following ingredients, it also deeply hydrates your skin.
- Glycerin is a humectant, so it helps your skin maintain hydration.
- Damascus rose hydrosol is excellent for mature skin, as it tones and boosts radiance.
- Aloe juice deeply hydrates your skin.
- Honey hydrates and softens.
- The essential oils were chosen with care to create a relaxing scent blend. Just what we like right before going to bed!
Steps to follow
- Prepare and disinfect your equipment and workspace.
- Weigh the aqueous phase ingredients in a small stainless steel bowl and heat on the double boiler.
- Weigh the oil phase ingredients in the second small stainless steel bowl and heat on the double boiler.
- Weigh the cooling phase ingredients in a ramekin.
- When the aqueous and oil phases have both reached a temperature of 70–75°C, remove them from the double boilers. Pour the oil phase over the aqueous phase and emulsify using the mini-mixer.
- When the mixture is homogeneous, place the bowl in a cold water bath and continue mixing with the mini-mixer.
- When the mixture has cooled to about 45°C, remove the bowl from the cold water bath and add the cooling phase. Mix well using the mini-mixer.
- Pour the cream into a Ziploc-style bag.
- Cut the corner of the bag; the hole must be smaller than the opening of the cream tube.
- Remove the cap from the tube and squeeze it to push out the air, then set the hole in the bag against the opening of the tube. Next, squeeze the bag while releasing pressure on the tube. Repeat until the tube is full. Place the cap back on the tube. Your DIY night cream is ready!
Use and conservation
This homemade night cream is specifically formulated to hydrate and nourish your skin. It is suitable for all skin types, except for very oily skin.
To use it, just apply a dab of cream to your face in the evening. You can also apply it in a thicker layer if you want to use it as a homemade face mask!
When made in optimal sanitary conditions, this homemade night cream will keep for at least three months.