Did you know that if you brush your teeth for three minutes, three times a day, you spend about 4.5 hours a month just brushing your teeth!
Have you ever paid attention to the ingredients in conventional toothpaste? Some of them contain questionable substances such as triclosan. For more information, here is the David Suzuki Foundation’s take on that particular ingredient, that is not only bad for your health but also for the environment.
Due to popular demand, we produced an amazing natural and triclosan-free toothpaste recipe that is sure to keep your teeth healthy and happy! It’s not only refreshing but also easy to make.
How to make toothpaste?
- Scale, accurate to 0.1 g
- 2 bowls, one needs to be a heat safe material ie stainless steel
- 2 toothpaste tubes
- Silicone spatula
- Piping bag or a freezer Ziploc bag
- 100 g (34.3%) of calcium carbonate
- 50 g (17.2%) of xylitol
- 50 g (17.2%) of extra virgin coconut oil
- 40 g (13.8%) of white clay
- 20 g (6.9%) of vegetable glycerin
- 20 g (6.9%) of demineralised water
- 10 g (3.4%) of coco betaine
- 1,5 g (0.5%) of menthol crystals, essential oil (mint, tea tree, orange, coriander, anise) or flavors, kids love the fruity berry one!
Steps to follow
- Prepare and sterilize your equipment and workspace.
- Weight calcium carbonate and white clay. Mix together in a bowl and put aside for later use.
- Weigh water, glycerine, coco betaine and xylitol. Put all these ingredients in a heat safe recipient that will be used on your stovetop. In a double-boiler, heat until the xylitol is completely diluted. If you are using menthol crystals, add them now, mix again until complete dilution of the latter.
- Add coconut oil, once completely melted take off the heat. If you are using flavor or essential oils now is the time to add them in.
- Gently pour in 3 to 4 parts the liquid portion (water/glycerine/coco betaine/xylitol/menthol crystals or flavor or essential oils) into the powders (calcium carbonate/white clay). Mix between each addition with a silicone spatula.
- Once all is homogenous, transfer the paste into a piping bag or freezer safe Zipolc bag. To facilitate the transfert, sit the bag into a measuring cup and fold the bag over the sides of the measuring cup. Fill the bag with the help of the silicone spatula.
- Take the bag and twist it onto itself, like when closing a bread bag. Cut the tip. IMPORTANT cut the tip small enough for it to fit into the tip of the toothpaste tube.
- To fill the tube, start by gently pressing the air out of the empty tube, then fill with the toothpaste.
- Brush your teeth as usual, with your homemade non-toxic paste!