It’s true there are candles for every reason and every season (just think of citronella in summer and cinnamon in winter), but fall brings us special opportunities to appreciate their warmth and fragrance, not to mention the cozy atmosphere they help create. And of course they make fast and easy gifts that can be personalized to your heart’s content: something to think about next time you’re scratching your head, wondering what to give that hard-to-buy-for person.
Here’s a guide for both beginners and more experienced candle makers: everything you need to know when choosing ingredients to make candles that will evoke “oohs” and “ahs” of surprise and delight!
A few safety tips
- To simplify clean-up, cover your workspace with old newspapers!
- Never heat wax directly over a heating element: use a double boiler./li>
- Never boil wax.
- In the case of fire, throw baking soda, not water, on the candle.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Don’t place a lit candle near a draft, curtains, or netting.
- Keep candles out of the reach of children and animals.
- Once your candle is lit, don’t move it.
- Finally, never leave match ends in the melted pool of wax on the top of the candle.
Did you find these tips useful? What ideas or recommendations would you add? Tell us about your most beautiful creations!