The hydrating hair care your mane has been waiting for!
Are you craving a silky, healthy mane? Then don’t delay: learn how to make your own hydrating hair mask. Our recipe for Happiness is in the Hair takes care of your tresses, leaving them soft and shiny.
Whether your locks have been worn down by winter or are just sorely lacking attention, your sad hair days are over with Happiness is in the Hair! As well as being rich in nutrients, colloidal oatmeal gives this homemade hair mask its elasticity and helps to detangle your hair. Our recipe also features honey, to boost hydration and leave your hair soft and silky without making it greasy! Finally, the coconut oil smoothes and adds shine, and the emulsifiers in the oil phase provide additional hydration.
Watch out, though—once you’ve tried it, you’ll be hooked. Happiness (really) is in the Hair with this homemade hair care recipe!
Making your own hydrating hair mask
- 95 g (62.9%) demineralized water
- 7 g (4.6%) honey
- 10 g (6.6%) colloidal oatmeal
- 5 g (3.3%) glycerin
- 0.4 g (0.3%) xanthan gum
- 15 g (9.9%) demineralized water
- 1.5 g (1%) GeoGard Ultra
- 0.5 g (0.3%) potassium sorbate
- 1.5 g (1%) honey aromatic essence
- 0.7 g (0.5%) of one of the following: red mandarin essential oil or sweet orange essential oil or tangerine essential oil or lime essential oil
- 1.5 g (1%) benzoin essential oil
- 2 small stainless steel bowls
- Components to make two double boilers
- Several stainless steel ramekins
- A few spoons
- 1 scale accurate to 0.1 g
- 1 mini mixer (electric and cordless) with frothing attachment (the little wheel)
- 1 frosted tottle-style bottle, 120 ml
- 1 Ziploc-style bag and scissors
Steps to follow
- Prepare and sterilize your equipment and workspace.
- Weigh 95 g of demineralized water in a small stainless steel bowl and heat it in the first double boiler (for the aqueous phase).
- In the second double boiler, heat the ingredients for the oil phase (Olivem 1000 emulsifying wax, cetyl alcohol, and coconut oil). Heat until the mixture reaches 70°C.
- Meanwhile, weigh the glycerin and the xanthan gum in a ramekin. Mix together and set aside.
- In a second ramekin, weigh the honey.
- In a third ramekin, weigh the colloidal oatmeal.
- In a fourth ramekin, weigh the honey aromatic essence and the essential oils.
- In a fifth ramekin, weigh the GeoGard Ultra and the potassium sorbate.
- When the temperature of the water has reached 70°C, add the honey, while keeping the mixture on the heat source. Mix the honey into the water with a spoon, and then add the oatmeal.
- Mix with the mini mixer, using the frothing attachment (the small wheel) to break up all clumps of oatmeal completely. Continue mixing until the texture is smooth and homogenous.
- Add the glycerin and xanthan gum mixture to the honey-water-oatmeal blend.
- Mix with the mini mixer for at least a minute, until the texture is smooth and homogenous. The aqueous phase is now ready!
- Ensure that the temperature of both the aqueous and the oil phases is between 70 and 80°C. Pour the oil phase into the aqueous phase and blend with the mini mixer for at least a minute, until the mixture is smooth and homogenous.
- Remove from heat and let cool to 45°C, frothing the mixture regularly with the mini mixer. You may use a cold-water bath to speed up the process.
- In preparation for the cooling phase, heat 15 g of demineralized water to 50°C. When the water reaches 50°C, pour it into the ramekin containing the preservatives (the GeoGard Ultra and potassium sorbate) and dissolve all the granules. Pour this mixture into the cream.
- Add the rest of the ingredients for the cooling phase (the essential oils and aromatic essence) to the cream and mix with the mini mixer until the mixture is smooth and homogenous.
- Pour the mixture into a Ziploc-style bag.
- Cut off the corner of the bag and use it to fill the tottle bottle with the mixture.
- Close the bottle and mark the container with the name of the product and date of production.
Use and conservation
After shampooing, gently wring out some of the moisture from your hair and apply a generous amount of hair treatment, concentrating on the strands and tips. Let the treatment act for a few minutes (we recommend you take this time to soap up with our Aloe 2 Go Shower Gel). Rinse thoroughly. It’s best to detangle your hair while rinsing out your homemade hair treatment.
If made in optimal sanitary conditions, this hair mask will keep for at least 3 months.