Your face will love this natural serum recipe
We all know that one person who always seems to have healthy, glowing skin. Indeed, no lack of sleep or sun can diminish their radiant complexion! We, on the other hand, sometimes look like a hermit who hasn’t seen the light of day for ages—in spite of our best efforts. Well, it’s time to share our new Beauty Secret: a natural face serum recipe!
This product hydrates and softens your face. It provides care for your skin while imparting an everyday healthy glow. What’s more, the two gums in this face serum recipe give the product a light toning effect… Perfect!
So the next time someone tells you that you have a lovely complexion, you can smile mysteriously and reply: “I have a Beauty Secret… and it’s a homemade face serum!”
How to make face serum
- 45 g (78.9%) hydrosol of your choosing (we recommend making your selection based on scent and/or your skin type)
- 0.2 g (0.4%) potassium sorbate
- 0.6 g (1.1%) aloe vera powder 100X
- 1.5 g (2.6%) tapioca starch
- 2.5 g (4.4%) willow bark extract
- 3 g (5.3%) sucragel
- 0.8 g (1.4%) gum arabic
- 0.3 g (0.5%) xanthan gum
- 3 g (5.3%) jojoba oil
- 0.1 g (0.2%) essential oil
- 2 small stainless steel bowls
- 1 scale, accurate to 0.1 g
- 1 mini-mixer with frothing attachment (the small wheel)
- A few ramekins and little spoons
- 1 mini silicone spatula
- 1 small funnel
- 1 blue glass bottle with pump (60 ml)
Good to know!
- Cornstarch can be substituted for the tapioca starch.
- Suggested essential oils for your skin type:
- Sensitive, mature skin: Rosewood essential oil and ho wood essential oil have regenerating and firming properties.
- Dull skin: Celery seed essential oil evens out and brightens your complexion.
- Oily to very oily problem skin: Litsea essential oil is purifying.
- Sensitized skin: Myrrh essential oil aids healing.
- To discover what essential oils are right for your skin, see our article on natural skincare routines for each skin type.
- A light, liquid vegetable oil can be substituted for the jojoba oil.
- We advise against modifying the other ingredients in this face serum recipe, as this may decrease the product’s shelf life.
Steps to follow
- Prepare and sterilize your equipment and workspace.
- Weigh your chosen hydrosol in a small stainless steel bowl.
- Dissolve these ingredients in the hydrosol in the following order: potassium sorbate, aloe vera powder, tapioca starch, and lastly, willow bark extract.
- In another small stainless steel bowl, mix the sucragel with the gums, jojoba oil, and the essential oil of your choosing.
- Pour the hydrosol mixture over the sucragel mixture. Stir constantly with the spatula for at least one minute, making sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl. The mixture should thicken and take on a gel-like texture. Then mix with the mini-mixer (using the frothing attachment) to make sure it’s well combined.
- Pour the preparation into the bottle using a small funnel. Your Beauty Secret is ready!
Use and conservation
This DIY face serum is formulated for all skin types (according to the selected hydrosol/essential oil) and is especially good for dry skin. You can apply it in the morning and/or the evening, before applying a day or night cream.
Made in optimal sanitary conditions, it will keep for at least 3 months.