Even when zombies are in fashion, no one really wants to look like one at the end of the day. Between make-up that bleeds or fades, fatigue, a lack of sun, and so many other factors, we sometimes (all too often) end the day with the face of the living dead. Luckily, Prime Time, a make-up primer recipe, is here to save our pretty miens!
This DIY natural face primer smoothes and evens out your complexion, while providing the rest of your make-up with longer staying power. It’s an essential piece in our make-up kits and has its place right next to our favourite lipsticks and eyeshadows. Formulated with hydrating, nourishing, vegan ingredients, this homemade primer cares for your skin and leaves it smooth and soft. What’s more, the powders it contains will help your make-up stay in place longer. It’s perfect for facing your day or evening out without having to worry about constant touch-ups!
With this homemade make-up primer, your skin will love lighting up at Prime Time!
How to make face primer
- 2 small stainless steel bowls
- Components to make two double boilers
- 2 mini silicone spatulas
- 1 scale, accurate to 0.1 g
- 1 large stainless steel bowl filled with water
- A few pipettes
- 2 pots (60 ml)
- A few ramekins
- 1 mini-mixer with frothing attachment (the little wheel)
- 1 thermometer
Good to know!
- Cornstarch can be substituted for the tapioca starch.
- The magnesium stearate allows the primer to adhere to your skin and helps your make-up last longer.
- The mica powder provides a smooth, silky touch.
- The vegetable oils selected for this recipe are dry oils so that they won’t leave a greasy film on your skin.
Steps to follow
- Prepare and sterilize your equipment and workspace.
- Weigh the water in a small stainless steel bowl and heat on the double boiler until it reaches 70°C.
- Weigh the oil phase ingredients (caprylis oil, olive squalane, and emulsifying wax NF) in a small stainless steel bowl and mix together. Heat on the double boiler until the oil phase mixture reaches 70°C.
- Weigh the guar gum in a ramekin. Weigh the glycerin and disperse it in the guar gum with the mini-mixer.
- Weigh the powder phase ingredients (tapioca starch, magnesium stearate, and mica powder) in a ramekin.
- Weigh the cooling phase ingredients (elderberry extract and vitamin E) in a ramekin.
- When the oil phase is homogeneous, add the powder phase and mix well with the mini-mixer.
- When the water has reached 70°C, add the glycerin/guar gum mixture to the water and mix well with the mini-mixer until a gel-like texture is reached.
- When the aqueous and oil phases have reached a temperature between 70°C and 80°C, add the oil phase to the aqueous phase and emulsify with the mini-mixer.
- Place the mixture in a cold water bath. When the temperature has cooled to 45°C, add the pre-mixed cooling phase ingredients. Mix well.
- Transfer the primer to the pots. You can apply your homemade primer as soon as it has cooled!
Use and conservation
After massaging in your hydrating cream, apply a dab of your homemade make-up primer all over your face (including your eyelids, if you wish). Wait just a few minutes before applying your make-up. Voila! Now you’re ready to face your day!
Made in optimal sanitary conditions, your primer will keep for at least 3 months.