If sensitive skin could dream, what would it dream of? Probably not soaring through the sky, becoming a child again, or traveling to a magical, far-away island. No, sensitive skin would likely dream of smoothness and daily gentle care. And that’s good news, because while you can’t give your skin the gift of flight, you can give it hydrating comfort! All you need is Skin Dreams, a homemade face lotion that will make your skin oh-so-dreamy!
This face lotion recipe is all about gentleness. We’ve carefully gathered together the ingredients Skin Dreams are made of: orange blossom hydrosol and prickly pear oil for their comforting and revitalizing properties; myrrh essential oil for its calming properties; and Damascus rose hydrosol, which acts as a skin toner. Together, these ingredients yield a gentle DIY lotion that protects and deeply hydrates the most sensitive skin without weighing it down.
So, indulge your skin’s fantasies with Skin Dreams—the homemade face lotion that proves some dreams really do come true!
How to make face lotion
- 0.4 g (0.8%) musk flower aromatic essence
- 1.5 g (3%) myrrh essential oil (10%)
- 1.5 g (3%) elderberry extract
- 0.5 g (1%) vitamin E
- 2 small stainless steel bowls
- Components to make two double boilers
- A lid that fits one of the stainless steel bowls
- 1 small silicone spatula
- 1 scale, accurate to 0.1 g
- A few pipettes
- 2 ramekins
- 1 mini-mixer with frothing attachment (the small wheel)
- 1 thermometer
- Several spoons
- 1 “airless” pump bottle (50 ml)
Good to know!
- Prickly pear oil is the key ingredient in this face lotion recipe. It’s a precious oil that helps reduce the visible signs of aging. Rich in vitamin E, omega-6, and sterols, it comforts sensitive skin as well as softening and revitalizing. It can be replaced with grapeseed oil, which is also ideal for sensitive and mature skin but doesn’t have as many wonderful properties as prickly pear oil.
- Orange blossom hydrosol was chosen for its comforting, revitalizing, and refreshing properties. Damascus rose hydrosol is used for its toning properties—great for wrinkles.
- Myrrh essential oil is calming—perfect for sensitive skin.
- Xanthan gum gives the lotion its stability and texture. We strongly advise against modifying this ingredient.
Steps to follow
- Prepare and disinfect your equipment and workspace.
- Weigh all the aqueous phase ingredients except the xanthan gum in the first small bowl. Place on the first double boiler. Cover the bowl with a lid to prevent the hydrosols from evaporating.
- Weigh the xanthan gum in a ramekin. Set aside until step 6.
- Weigh the oil phase ingredients in the second small bowl and place on the second double boiler.
- While the aqueous and oil phases are heating, weigh all of the cooling phase ingredients in a ramekin. Set aside until step 8.
- When the aqueous phase reaches 70°C, remove it from the heat and add the xanthan gum to the aqueous phase. Mix with the mini-mixer.
- When the oil phase has reached 70°C and the aqueous phase is homogeneous, remove the oil phase from the heat and pour the oil phase over the aqueous phase. Mix with the mini-mixer.
- When the mixture has cooled to 45°C or lower, add the cooling phase to the mixture. Mix with the spatula until homogeneous.
- Pour your DIY lotion into the pot. That’s it!
Use and conservation
This homemade face lotion is specifically formulated for sensitive and mature skin.
When made in optimal sanitary conditions, it will keep for at least three months.