Revitalize your skin with coffee!
Get ready, your skin is in for a treat: Coffeelicious is a caffeinated homemade body scrub that will leave your skin soft and radiant. It also helps slough off dead cells, so your skin can better absorb hydrating creams or lotions and appear more revitalized. In short, this scrub has all you need to make your skin as happy as you are in the morning when you FINALLY get your first sip of coffee!
We decided to make this body scrub recipe in the form of a bar. A solid scrub is very practical because it fits well in your hand and you won’t get it all over your tub—and we love not having to wash our bathtub after a shower! Thanks to the coconut oil and ghassoul clay, it is suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin.
So, give your skin the pick-me-up it deserves with Coffeelicious, the most delicious DIY body scrub!
How to make a body scrub
Before you begin
- SCI (sodium cocoyl isethionate) can irritate your respiratory tract, so it must be handled with caution. Work in a well-ventilated space, wear a dust mask, or both.
- This body scrub recipe calls for you to melt the SCI, which can take some time. To speed up the process, you can reduce the SCI to a powder first with a coffee grinder or a mortar and pestle; if you do this, we recommend reserving your coffee grinder for cosmetic purposes going forward. Alternatively, you can choose to not melt it completely. When conducting our tests, we melted just two thirds of the SCI and that was more than enough. Keep in mind that the final product will appear less smooth if you don’t melt all of the SCI, but that won’t alter its effectiveness at all!
- 20 g (40%) SCI
- 9.5 g (19%) demineralized water
- 9.5 g (19%) coconut oil
- 6 g (12%) ghassoul clay
- 5 g (10%) freshly ground coffee or used coffee grinds
- 1 small stainless steel bowl
- Components to make a double boiler
- 1 small silicone spatula
- 1 scale, accurate to 0.1 g
- 2 ramekins
- A few spoons
- Oval silicone mold
- A dust mask or stove hood
Good to know!
- Coconut oil is very nourishing and helps maintain your skin’s hydration.
- SCI is a cleansing agent and makes the product rinse off well.
- Ghassoul clay is recommended for sensitive skin and helps soften your skin.
- Coffee is the exfoliator in this recipe and also gives your DIY body scrub a delicious scent!
Steps to follow
- Prepare and disinfect your equipment and workspace.
- Weigh the SCI and demineralized water in a small bowl. Heat on the double boiler and mix with the spatula.
- Weigh the coconut oil in the first ramekin.
- Weigh the ghassoul and coffee in the second ramekin. Mix with a spoon.
- When the SCI is fully melted or nearly melted, add the coconut oil. As the coconut oil melts, mix gently with the spatula so that the mixture does not foam up.
- Remove from heat. Add the ghassoul clay and coffee, while mixing gently with the spatula.
- Pour into the mold.
- Wait 24 hours before unmolding. After unmolding, allow your scrub bar to dry for 24 to 48 hours before using.
Use and conservation
This homemade scrub bar is formulated for body use and is suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin.
To use it, just rub your wet skin with the bar and rinse off. Dry your skin, then moisturize with a body cream.
When made in optimal sanitary conditions, it will keep for at least six months, stored in a dry place. It’s important to let your bar dry out fully between each use.