All those with beards agree: Soft, sleek facial hair is far more pleasant than rough, prickly bristles. But you have to care for your whiskers to have a smooth beard—and we have a recipe for a homemade beard balm that does exactly that! Just Beard It cares for your beard by nourishing and softening it.
This easy-to-make recipe will quickly become an essential for all those with beards. It’s simple to apply and doesn’t leave a greasy feel. Thanks to the carnauba wax, it can also be used to style stray facial hairs for a more controlled fuzz (as opposed to beard oil, which doesn’t have the same effect).
This DIY beard balm can be used whenever you want to style or soften your beard. For best results, apply from roots to tips.
Get ready to Just Beard It with this vegan beard balm recipe!
How to make your own beard balm?
- 4 g cetyl alcohol
- 5 g carnauba wax
- 6 g castor oil
- 6 g argan oil
- 10 g black cumin seed oil
- 10 g baobab oil
- 0.4 g patchouli essential oil
- 0.5 g rosewood essential oil
- 1.4 g pink grapefruit essential oil
- 0.2 g peppermint essential oil
- 0.4 g amyris essential oil
- 0.2 g rosemary oleoresin
- 1 small stainless steel bowl
- Components to make a double boiler
- 1 silicone spatula
- 1 scale, accurate to 0.1 g
- 1 pipette
- 1 ramekin
- 1 mini-mixer with frothing attachment (the little wheel)
- 1 metal tin, 60 ml
Steps to follow
- Prepare and disinfect equipment and workspace.
- In the small stainless steel bowl, gently melt the wax and cetyl alcohol in the vegetable oils on a double boiler.
- In the meantime, weigh and mix the essential oils and rosemary oleoresin in a ramekin.
- When the wax and alcohol have melted, remove the bowl from the heat and gently add the essential oil mixture while blending with the mini-mixer.
- When the essential oils are fully incorporated, pour the warm mixture into the metal tin. Allow to cool before covering with the lid.
Use and conservation
This DIY beard balm is formulated for medium to long beards.
Made in optimal sanitary conditions, your homemade beard balm will keep for at least 6 months. To apply, warm a knob of balm with your fingertips and rub into beard while smoothing hairs.