Greet the sun with this cream recipe!
Get ready! The sun is here, and it’s shining high and bright! But to enjoy it with an easy mind, a suitable product is needed… So we’ve come up with a special homemade cream for sunny days. It’s perfect for summer or vacations to sun-drenched places. All set yet? On your mark in 3, 2, 1… Sun!
This recipe for a sun-specific cream allows you to appreciate beautiful days outside without fear. Don’t hesitate to make several small bottles of it, so you can bring a conveniently sized container along with you wherever you go. On the beach, in the city, in the woods, or on your patio… This cream will be your best summer friend!
In developing this cream, we took our inspiration from sun protection products currently on the market. Our cream contains zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, two ingredients that are used in sunscreen recipes.
Are you ready? Then in 3, 2, 1… It’s sun!
How to make your own cream for the sun in just a few steps
Before you begin
- A homemade sunscreen will never have a very high sun protection factor (an SPF over 20). To augment the SPF, one could theoretically increase the quantity of powders (oxides), but the final product would then be very thick and would leave an even whiter residue on the skin.
- We advise against modifying the ingredients or ratios in this cream recipe.
- Two small stainless steel bowls
- Components to make two double boilers
- 1 mini silicone spatula
- 1 scale accurate to 0.1 g
- A few pipettes
- 2 ramekins
- 1 mini mixer with frothing attachment (the small wheel)
- 2 cosmo bottles (60 ml each)
Good to know!
- Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are known to be physical sun filters that reflect light. They are very common ingredients in commercial sunscreen recipes.
- Carrot seed essential oil is known to prepare skin for sun exposure.
Steps to follow
- Weigh the water in a small stainless steel bowl and warm on the first double boiler until it reaches a temperature of 70°C. Next, add the xanthan gum and disperse well with the mini mixer (using the frothing attachment).
- In a second small stainless steel bowl, weigh the oil phase ingredients with the exception of the zinc oxide and titanium oxide. Heat on the second double boiler until the mixture reaches 70°C.
- When the oils are hot, weigh the zinc oxide and titanium dioxide and add to the oils. Disperse well.
- When the two phases are between 70°C to 80°C, remove from the double-boiler and add the oil phase (oils/oxides) to the aqueous phase (water/xanthan gum). Emulsify using the frothing attachment of the mini mixer.
- Weigh the cooling phase ingredients in a ramekin. Add to the emulsion when it has cooled to a temperature of about 45°C.
- Mix well, then pour into the containers.
Made in optimal sanitary conditions, your homemade cream for sunny days will keep at least three months.