Teddy bears are so comforting to babies. They bring the wee ones everyday company, softness, and protection from the bad things in life. These little stuffed heroes inspired our new recipe: a homemade baby lotion that cares for our youngest ones by hydrating, protecting, and softening their skin.
Baby Beary Lotion is a good friend to small children. Indeed, babies’ skin is sensitive and calls for particular care. We therefore formulated this natural baby lotion recipe with colloidal oatmeal, vegetable glycerin, and shea butter. These three ingredients are known for their wonderful properties and create a perfect mixture for our little cherubs’ skin—but it’s not just for them! The whole family can use this homemade hydrating lotion, particularly those with sensitive skin. This is a baby lotion recipe that everyone can enjoy!
With Baby Beary Lotion, you’ll offer your little ones a moment of genuine comfort and softness… Just like when they’re snuggled up with their cuddly toy!
How to make baby lotion
Before you begin
Like with any new skincare product, it is important to first test for allergies. Apply a little bit of cream in the crook of the elbow and wait for 48 hours, keeping an eye on the skin’s appearance over this period.
- 2 small stainless steel bowls
- Components to make a double boiler
- 1 scale, accurate to 0.1 g
- 1 mini-mixer with frothing attachment (the little wheel)
- 1 whisk
- A few ramekins and small spoons
- 1 mini silicone spatula
- 1 small funnel
- 1 glass bottle with pump, 240 ml
Good to know!
All the ingredients in this baby lotion recipe are used at safe levels for infants.
Steps to follow
- Weigh the oil phase ingredients (Olivem 1000, shea butter, and sunflower oil) in the first stainless steel bowl. Heat on the double boiler (between 70–80°C) to melt the wax.
- In the second bowl, mix the demineralized water (for the aqueous phase) and the colloidal oatmeal. Use the mini-mixer to disperse the clumps of oatmeal. Gently warm on the double boiler until the mixture reaches a temperature of 70–80°C.
- Mix the glycerin and xanthan gum in a ramekin.
- In a second ramekin, dissolve the GeoGard Ultra in the demineralized water (ideally lukewarm) for the cooling phase. When the mixture is homogeneous, add the vitamin E.
- Pour the glycerin mixture into the bowl containing the water and colloidal oatmeal. Manually whisk for about a minute.
- Ensure that the aqueous and oil phases are at least 70°C, then pour the oil phase into the aqueous phase. Mix with the mini-mixer for about a minute.
- When the emulsion has cooled to below 45°C, add the cooling phase ingredients. Mix well with the mini-mixer for another minute.
- When the emulsion has cooled to below 30°C, pour into the container with the small funnel (the container should be first disinfected). Close and label the container with the date of manufacture. Your DIY baby lotion is now ready!
Use and conservation
This homemade baby lotion is specially formulated for dry and/or sensitive skin. It is thus particularly well suited to the skin of infants, but it is also fitting for the whole family!
Made in optimal sanitary conditions, Baby Beary Lotion will keep for at least 3 months.