It’s time to Butter You Up with this DIY body butter bar!
Showers really are the best: you can sing, relax, and even do your finest thinking there… But what if you could make showering even better? Yes, it’s possible!! With this recipe, you can make a body butter bar that provides care for your skin while you enjoy some relaxing shower time… Practical, don’t you think?
This body butter bar will Butter You Up, leaving your skin smooth and nourished, with a delicate scent of your choosing that will linger for the rest of the day.
The fact that you can use this homemade body butter bar in the shower, directly on moist skin, is more than just convenient. It also allows you to take advantage of the shower’s warmth, which opens your pores so that the product can better penetrate your skin and work more effectively!
Ready to get buttered up?
How to make a body butter bar
- 45 g kokum butter
- 10 g stearic acid
- 15 g sucragel
- 3 g tapioca starch
- 2 g essential oil or aromatic essence of your choosing
- 1 DROP of your choice of mica (optional; measure out using the mini measuring spoon labelled “DROP”)
- 1 small stainless steel bowl
- Components to make a double boiler
- 1 small silicone spatula
- 1 scale accurate to 0.1 g
- 1 pipette
- 2 ramekins
- Mini measuring spoons (the DROP)
- 1 mini whisk
- 1 silicone mold, oval
Good to know!
Kokum butter is silky, hard, and odourless. It’s the most suitable butter for this recipe, so we advise against replacing it with another butter.
Steps to follow
- Prepare and sterilize your equipment and workspace.
- In the stainless steel bowl, weigh the kokum butter and stearic acid. Place on a double boiler to melt.
- While the mixture is melting, weigh the tapioca starch (and optional mica) in a ramekin. Mix to combine.
- In a second ramekin, weigh the sucragel and the essential oils and/or aromatic essences. Mix to combine.
- When the kokum butter/stearic acid mixture has melted, add the tapioca starch (and optional mica). Mix well with the spatula
- Remove from heat. Add the sucragel/scent mixture and mix well with the mini-mixer.
- Place the bowl in a cold-water bath to speed up the hardening process. Continue to blend with the mini-mixer: the mixture should thicken to a gel.
- Pour the mixture into the cavities of the silicone mold.
- Place the mold in the refrigerator to accelerate the hardening process. Unmold when the bars have solidified and there you have it! Your body butter bars are now ready to use.
Use and conservation
You can use this body butter bar while showering or immediately after. Softly slide the bar over wet skin, wherever it normally feels dry. Massage skin gently. If necessary, rinse off excess. To dry, pat your skin lightly with a towel; do not rub, or you’ll remove the protective layer formed by the body butter. Allow the bar to dry between uses.
Made under optimal sanitary conditions, these homemade body butter bars will keep for at least 3 months.